- Thoroughly rinse the red lentils under cold water and then soak overnight in cold water.
- Keep the lobster in the fridge for 1 hour before cooking so it is in a docile state when the time comes to cook it.
- Tie a knife or a splint to each lobster tail to keep it straight.
- Cook the lobsters in a pan of salted boiling water for 6 minutes per 450g (1lb). Remove from the water and allow to cool.
- To prepare the lobster, remove the knife or splint and pull the claws away from the body. Pull the head from the tail. Crack the shell and remove the tail meat. Discard the head and shell and slice the tail meal into four scallops.
- To prepare the claws, use the back of a knife to break open the shells and carefully remove the claw and knuckle meat. Put aside with the tail meat.
- To make the dahl, first strain the red lentils.
- In a large saucepan, heat the chicken stock over a medium heat. Add the turmeric, season with salt and add the red lentils. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 15–20 minutes or until the lentils are tender. When ready, strain the lentils and discard the cooking juices.
- Melt the butter in a pan and sauté the onion with the cumin seeds until browned.
- Add the lentils, coconut milk, baby spinach and three quarters of the coriander and cook on a medium heat until heated through. Keep warm.
- Make the curry salt by mixing together in a bowl the curry powder and salt.
- Dip the pieces of lobster one by one into the curry salt (one side only). Knock off the excess powder by tapping your wrist and place the lobster on a plate with the curry salt side facing up.
- For the garnish, peel and remove the core of the apple then slice into 5mm (1/4in) sticks. Dice the tomato.
- Add some olive oil to a hot frying pan. Place the lobster pieces, curry salt side down, in the pan. Cook for 1 minute until golden, turn over and finish with a knob of butter. Remove from the heat.
- Spoon the warm dahl onto 4 plates and arrange the lobster on top. Place the apple on top of the lobster and garnish with the remaining chopped coriander and the diced tomato.